Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Here is a bit of trivia I learned about the farm at Atkinville. (61/2 miles south of the end of main street of St. George.) During the time that Wilford Woodruff was president of the church, there was severe persecution of church leaders because of plural marriage. President Woodruff was a close friend of the Atkins and stayed there often enough that they added a small room onto their house for him to stay in. The mail for the church was even forwarded to that place for about 6 months and the "Willford room" was the unofficial headquarters of the church.
When we moved to the farm, the old rock walls of several buildings were still standing and Dad put a roof on one and turned it into the milk shed. Next to it was a building that served as an open air shop and hooked to the side of it and used for a pig pen was a small square addition. - I believe we raised pigs in the "Willford room".

2 comments:

Paula said...

When I first heard that story years ago, I had a whole new perspective of that "farm"! I also heard that there was a recreational lake between the rock buildings and the river - for canoeing and such! Who would have thought!? But I also remember thinking Dad was crazy when he said people would fly down to St. George to play golf, and he wanted to design a course for the farm. I took him to Sun River (aka the farm) to show him the dream not long before he died.

Bev said...

Who would have thought. This is going to be so fun learning more about your family.