Saturday, April 25, 2009
The old Farmall and one scary memory!
This tractor that Ray found was the first farmall that Dad had in Mesa. He bought another one a couple of years newer just before we moved to St. George. This one had a steel cast stearing wheel is how I remember it. The newer one had a composite hand grip on the wheel. Dad was discing the field between the house and the barn in Mesa on 9th street. Ray and I went out to watch and dad stopped to move some rocks or something so we raced out to where he was. The disc, one we latter had at the farm it had a rack in the center for adding weight. We thought it would be fun to ride on that rack. Ray was the only one that would fit so I had to ride on the tractor standing on the drawbar. Dad got on the tractor and away we went. The field was a lot rougher than I thought and the disc was doing some major bucking. I remember seeing Ray fall off the weight rack and yelling at the top of my lungs to get dad to stop. It seemed like it took forever for him to stop but we didn't go more than a couple of feet. Dad grabbed Ray out of the dirt and did a quick check to see what was missing and ran him to the house. I remember standing there wondering what to do. I knew it was bad because Dad just left the tractor sitting there running. I think Mom took Ray to the doctor or hospital and after what seemed like a long time Dad came back to the tractor. He made me walk and he drove the tractor and parked it. When I saw Ray next he got home and looked preaty sad. The disc had made a cut under his eye and he had stitches. I am not so sure to this day that he fell on top of the disc not under it but that was how I remember it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I cried whenI read this story remembering that little boy with a huge stitched and swollen eye. Ray, you were such a trooper. And, Lyle, I had no idea that you were left in the field with the tractor running all by yourself - how terrifying that that must have been. I just want to hug both you boys!
This is amazing....simply amazing. I'm so glad you included me to take a peek at your memories. I love it! Good job, Lyle and Ray, what a trooper....
Post a Comment