Saturday, April 18, 2009

Visiting Mom & Beth at the Hospital - and - The Sheep Butt

Ray said...
Here goes- I think I found the right place to leave some graffitti.I have 2 memories that rival for the first in relation to Mom and I'm not sure of the sequence. I'm sure Lyle can add some details on this first one. I remember going to the hospital when Beth was born. They didn't allow fathers to attend the delivery let alone tolerate siblings in the hospital ward so Dad took us to the window of Mom's room and held me up so I could see. I really didn't see Beth but I remember being glad to see my Mom. Glad didn't last long because we had to leave before someone came to tell us we couldn't do what we were doing and it was forever before Mom could come home. (They used to stay in the hospital for a week after delivery.) It seems like we took the horses to the hospital - Lyle?? I could have several stories running together.My next memory is going out with Mom to take some peelings to the sheep. We were living in Mesa (the "new" house on eighth street. Was it green?) I remember the barn being to the west of the house across a small field or garden spot. Anyway, we went out to the barn and Mom went in the pen to dump the peelings in the trough and as she bent over the buck butted her in the rear and toppled her into the trough. She was so mad! She swore me to secrecy about her encounter and only now do I dare divulge these details! That's probably where I got the "S" word she used to say printed on my brain. Is that the first word that comes to anyone else mind when something makes you mad?
April 18, 2009 8:40 AM

4 comments:

Paula said...

Good job, Ray! I copied and pasted it in the right place. You need to call me and let me walk you through posting next time.
The house on 8th street was grey. The new house on 9th street was cinder block with a few pink & green ones scattered in. There was a field between it and the barn and corrals. Yes, the S word has been passed on to most of us! Loved the sheep story! Love you!

Paula said...

I just remembered, that the reason Mom was in the hospital longer (even more than the usual long stays)with Beth was because she had a blood clot in her leg. She even had to stay in bed for a while after they came home.

jim said...

Aunt Cherrie scolded me when I told her I learned the S word from Mom.

Bev said...

I still remember your mom wearing those tep hose on her leg or legs...