Saturday, September 5, 2009

I remember that Grandma and Grandpa came with us to the cabin one time when we still lived in West Valley. We went to a fishing pond and they watched as my brothers and I took turns catching fish out of the pond. While we were at the cabin, I remember that Grandpa made a whistle out of a willow stick. I would like to know how he made it. I have always been intrigued by how he did that.

2 comments:

Lyle said...

willow bark will slip best in the spring. you have to carefully cut the bark and then Dad would hit it with the back of his knife to lossen the bark and when he could twist it he would pull it off. He always cut a notch in the stick before he slid the bark off then he would cut the stick so the air could pass under the bark and he would make a cavity.
The whistle works like any whistle. You blow over an open hole like blowing on a pop bottle to make it whistle. When you slide the bark back on the stick you have a whistle. Of course the stick needs to be wet to slide the bark back on and the whistle will work longer if you don't let it dry out. Ray and I use to make them a lot. It is a little tricky but not so hard you can't do it. If I was an artist I'dd draw you a picture.

DB said...

Thanks. the more I learn about Grandpa the more I wish he was around to teach me and tell me stories.