Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Seventy

This last few weeks as I have had some personal struggles with trying to lead a group of old High Priests. I was talking to my son Dylan about the priesthood and how my dad held the office of Seventy when he ordained me an Elder. Dylan got this wide eyed look and asked, Grandpa Jones was in the Quorum of Seventy? I had to back up and think about how that worked.

Back in the day the Seventies were organized on a Stake level and were responsible for missionary work. In fact we had one seventy left in our stake until this last year. He is a good friend from my work and he asked me to ordain him a High Priest. Which I had the privilege to do back in January of this year. But that is another story.

I remember Dad was one of the 7 presidents of Seventy in the Logandale Stake. He was the president of the Seventies Quorum in Mesquite 1st ward. I remember him complaining about how hard it was to motivate the old men to do missionary work. It reminded me of my own concerns. Dad was ordained a Seventy by Joesph Fielding Smith which made his priesthood line of authority very short. He spent most of his time trying to teach the gospel and holding baptisms. I remember him making visits to prospective members and It seemed like we always had someone at our house for Sunday dinner. Of course back then we ate Breakfast, Dinner and Supper. We didn't know what lunch was. We had our big meal around noon and in the evening we usually had bread and milk before we went to bed. Of course Mom and Lena and Beth didn't drink milk so they had to settle for a bread and Jelly or peanut butter sandwich.

2 comments:

Bev said...

Interesting, yeah, I remember my dad being a Seventy too......what sweet memories. Thanks for the post, Lyle!

Paula said...

Thanks, Lyle! I didn't know that much detail on dad's being a Seventy.
Our Relief Society lesson yeaterday was on family history, and how important it is to write stuff down for our posterity, and I was think how long it had been since anyone wrote on our family blog, and what an awesome place it is to visit. It is so important to get pieces of information from each family member, as we all have special things that stick out in our memories! Jim and I should be posting a lot, as we are now the oldest two, and when we leave, that stuff in our memories will go with us!