Sayings we grew up with.
I’ll be a monkey’s uncle.
Dad gum it Nancy.
It is grass but it’s Snot grass.
Did you see the soldier (Sniff) with the green stripes down his leg. (Mom would wipe her nose on her hand and wipe it down her leg.)
Don’t be like the little boy that lost his gum in the chicken coop and thought he found it!
When crossing a cattle guard, Pick up your feet or you’ll marry a cow.
On the sidewalk, Step on a crack and you’ll break your mother’s back.
If you stubbed your toe, Did you have a good trip.
Your like talking to a post.
Don’t sit there like a bump on a log.
After dinner, If I was in bed with my pockets full of pancakes. I wouldn’t get up for any supper.
Eat every tatter and pee on your plate. ( Red potatoes and peas.)
I saw U P on a boxcar. (Union Pacific you pee)
They can’t chew gum and walk at the same time.
Here I am 100 miles from home and I can’t spit off of my own property.
A rooster doesn’t say Cock-a-doodle-do. They say Uncle He-ber.
I always had rooster tails in my hair and Ray had a cow lick.
Soak an eye (So can I)Which eye do you want soaked?
Beth’s favorite, Don’t be soft.
I’ll give you something to cry about.
Cry baby cry, stick your finger in your eye, tell your Aunt Mor-i it wasn’t I. Cry baby cry.
When you looked out of the curtains, Don’t be an Okie.
Fart a doodle.
It will feel better when it quits hurt‘n.
This hurts me more than it hurts you. (with a spanking)
For Ray and I to wake up in the morning Dad would come in singing. Get up get up little girls get up. Get up little girls get up.
Or : It’s nice to get up in the morning when the sun is in the sky. The birds and bees are in the trees. But it’s nicer to stay in bed! (It was always still dark outside.)
From a book. And the very next day he was on his way. Good old Dr. Goat.
Howdy Chester. (they would pound on your chest) Good to see your back.(they would pound on your back) Haven’t seen ya for two long ears.(they would pull on your ears) Catch a hare on the way. (they would pull your hair)
What color was George Washington’s white horse?
Who is buried in Grant’s tomb?
Fart in the bush.(Dad use to call horses that)
It’s raining it’s pouring the old man is snoring.
Heavens to Betsy.
Two heads are better than one even if one is a sheep’s head. Also cabbage head.
My causa is su causa.
Don’t cry over spilled milk.
Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched.
Chinga lita ska wanta paketa. (no meaning)
If you lift a calf over the fence everyday when it is grown you will sill be lifting it over the fence.
We don’t shew our flies we let them go bare footed.
A water melon bust. Tender footed.
Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Stars in the morning a sailors warning. Stars at night a sailors delight.
Clean your plate. There are kids in China starving.
Mom use to ask Dad when he was eating fast, Are you going to a fire? He would slow down for a couple of bites.
Railroad crossing look out for the cars can you spell that without any R’s.
When you ask what time is it. You would get, Are you catching the bus or taking medicine?
Whistle britches.
Grasshoppers, Squeeze their head and say spit tobacco or I’ll kill you.
June Bugs. We use to put them on strings.
Sow bugs=Potato bugs = rollie pollies.
Strike while the Iron is hot.
Nigger Rig
Monday’s child is fair of face. Tuesday’s child is full of grace. Wednesday’s child is full of woe. Thursday’s child has far to go. Friday’s child is loving and giving. Saturday’s child works hard for a living. But the child that’s born on the Sabbath day is bonney and blithe and happy and gay.
Grandpa’s slow but he’s old.
Good night nurse. Tell the doctor I’m no better.
If wishes were fishes we’d all have a fry and if horse turds were biscuits we’d eat tell we die.
Damit to hell.
If the dog hadn’t of stopped he’d a caught the rabbit.
Loco in the Cabasa.
Indian Giver.
Sweat like a butcher.
Plan Jane.
Splitting image.
Choke a chicken.
Shut the door were you raised in a barn?
Don’t take any wooden nickels.
See you later Alligator. After while Crocodile. Pretty soon Baboon.
Dad use to tell a story about a little boy riding the bus home with his mom. The boy asked, “Mom can I go wee?“ Not yet son wait until we get home. A little later the boy asks. “ can I go wee now?” The mom says we’re almost home can you wait? As they are getting off the bus the boy says, “ Mom Can I go wee?” The Mom says oh go ahead! The little boy jumps down the steps of the bus. Yelling Wee!
I may have missed a few! If this brings any to your mind put in a comment. Or at least e-mail me. Thanks, Lyle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so fun! These bring back fond memories. My Mom didn't say all of these but quite a few....thanks for posting them. What a good idea!
Post a Comment