Sunday, March 20, 2011

Some of Jim's sories

Jim and his family were here this week on spring break. I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know.
When Jim came home on leave from the marine corp we were living at the farm. He and a couple of buddies drove out there. When they went around a sharp corner they rolled the car. Jim was riding shotgun and had his hand out holding on. The car rolled over on his side first then on over and landed on it's side on the drivers side down next to the irrigation ditch. Jim was worried about the little guy that was then under him. The windshield was broke and he reached up to move it out of the way. He couldn't get a hold of it and when he looked down to see what was going on 3 of his fingers were bent back over the back of his hand. He freaked kicked out the windshield and climbed out. His two buddies were just laughing. He was the only one hurt. They went on walking down the road and along came Dad on the motorcycle. Jim laughed and laughed as he told how Dad went skidding past them trying to get stopped. He had to turn around and come back and he skidded by them going the other way. I guess It took three times before Dad could get stopped where they were. Dad then rode back to the farm and sent Lena in her old Packard car to pick them up and take them into the hospital in St. George. That is where he met Dr Con. Jim was sitting down and the Doctor just got a hold of one of his fingers and pulled it back into place. He did each finger the same way. I asked if they had given him anything for pain but he said no. They bandaged his fingers around a rolled up ace bandage. Lena and one of her friends were his nurse's while he was in the hospital. He was in the hospital a week. He told about Lena's friend who didn't speak much English had set him up for a bath. She left him to finish bathing and get dressed. When she came back and opened the curtain Jim yelled Oh I'm not dressed. I guess it embarrassed her so bad she wouldn't help Jim again. When he got back to the base the doctors there told him if he had not been bandaged around a roll his fingers would have been ok.

Here is a picture of what is left of the corner and what is left of Jim's hand.







1 comment:

Paula said...

I was so upset over that accident! It really put a damper on having Jim home on leave. I cried alot, but was thankful that it wasn't worse.