
The reservoir freeze’s over in the winter.

This is where my great great grandfather settled after bringing his family from Sweden to Utah. They lived first at millcreek and kind of got their feet back under them, then they moved to Huntsville. They built a dugout to live in the first year. See his history in the book “A Simple Faith” Anders Persson Lofgreen Swedish son - Mormon Immigrant. By Ben Lofgreen.
You can also read some history online just search Lofgreen to find it.

There is a boat dock and marina just before you get to the Cemetery. It is located at the end of 1st Street. It was a town with a lot of Sweden immigrants so I think that is why they moved there. It would have been comfortable for them speaking the Swedish language and learning English.

This was taken in March of 2010. You will be able to tell by the snow. In May of 2011 it was just raining. This is where I first ran across the unique head stone with more than one grave marked with it. I have since found several Lofgreen graves marked the same way. Anders Persson Lofgreen is buried as Andrew P. Lofgreen. Two of his three wives are buried here and marked on the sides of the headstone. Kjersti Persdotter is buried as Katie and Metta Marie is buried as Mette M.



The family built an above the ground home the second year and moved in just before Christmas. The home is on the same street that President David O Mckay’s home that he grew up in was. The Mckay home is gone but the old Lofgreen home still stands but has been built on to.

The old Lofgreen house is on the back. Andrew sold his team and harness’s to get the money to buy some farm ground. Then he couldn’t plow it without horses. Katie had been doing some weaving for a family that had horses so he made a deal to trade what they owed for weaving to plow the farm. They were on their way. Andrew took Peter and Benjamin and traveled to work on the Transcontinental railroad. I think they were there when the railroad was completed. I found he owned and farmed 56 acres which was called the north field. See the pictures of what it looks like today.



These pictures were taken from north to south facing East.
I have found a friend in the care taker of the cemetery. He told me this 56 acre parcel just sold and he hasn’t met the new owners yet. It is right across the street from his grandfather’s farm which he now runs.
Here is the cemetery plot map. The main Lofgreen family Plot is in 17 that is where Andrew is buried and others of his immediate family.

In plot 4 is Poul Lofgreen and Anna Truedsson Lofgreen. They don’t have head stones and I found a grave with a head stone Katy Lofgren Peterson buried between them. Poul is Andrew’s older brother and the father of Annie Lofgreen who married Benjamin Levi, first cousins. My great grandparents. I haven’t identified where Katy fits in yet.

On the North side of this head stone is Poul Lofgreen. On the south side is Anna Truedsson Lofgreen. Picture taken from west looking east.
In plot 23 I found Botilla Lofgreen Wilson which is Andrew’s daughter.

Here is the Lofgreen Family plot.

If you are interested in seeing the individual head stones and how they fit in the family visit findagrave.com There is even a picture of Andrew P Lofgreen. You can just look at the Huntsville Utah Cemetery if you want.
There is plenty of geneology yet to do. We talked at the last Lofgreen reunion about making a book for Fred and Ann Lofgreen including their children and grand children and as many others as we can get. Is your history and family turned in?
1 comment:
I loved this post, Lyle. I have been re-reading "A Simple Faith" and this came up! I want to go there someday and visit the cemetary. I really want to go to Sweden someday and visit the places mentioned in the book - how cool would that be! What a hero Anders Persson is to me! Can't wait to meet him again!
Post a Comment