Sunday, May 27, 2012

First tractors

Dad use to tell that the first tractors didn’t have steering wheels they were turned with leather lines like horses. He must have driven at least one because he used to say the reins were kind of hard to pull.
When Dad was a young man he was leveling a field in Price. The scraper he was using had a rope to dump it and he tied the rope around his waist. As he was driving down the field the scraper came off and pulled him off of the tractor. It broke his back but the tractor went right on down to the end of the field and turned around just like someone was driving it. It came right by him and he reached up and knocked it out of gear. As I remember the story he was driving a Massey Fergusson. There wasn’t much they could do in those days for a broken back. But I remember the scars on his lower back from the accident. He always had back trouble but that didn’t stop him from getting things done.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I remember those scars on his back. He surely was not afraid of hard work. He was so diligent in supporting our family. Of course he expected us to work hard, too! I love and respect him for that - what an example of "by the sweat of their brow" he was for us. {of course, my perspective has changed tremendously since childhood on that one!}