Monday, June 15, 2009

Games and songs!

Dad in his younger years liked to play checkers. He and Ray use to have quite the games until Ray got where he could always win. Mom on the other hand would take on any game and always held her own. I remember at a reunion her sister Glenda was trying to get mom to say, "Boots without spurs". Mom would say Boots without spurs and Glenda would say no! Say boots without spurs. I was surprised it took mom as long as it did. She would try to put the effaces on the same words as Glenda. Glenda was yelling no! Say boots without spurs. Mom finally said Boots. And the laughing started. That was what they did best. Laugh!

Mom always said I saw UP on a box car.Or Who is buried in Grants tomb.
And Dad would say Railroad crossing look out for the cars can you spell THAT without any R's.

I think Mom taught all of her kids all the nursery rhymes. Today most people don't even know what they are. Mom and Dad both knew a bit of verse and would tell stories like "Little Orphan Annie".

Dad and Mom both liked to sing and had some great songs."The Friskies" a proven favorite. "She's always chewing gum", "The whitie manie", and "I went to school" to name just a few. We always sang when we went anywhere in the car. Dad liked the Hymn "Love at Home" (I think it was because we were always fighting). Dad use to tell about a little bantam roster he raised and used in a play. I think it was Jack in the bean stalk. He would sing songs from that play. Now I wish I knew them. Mom took it a step farther. She was in a group called the Singing Mothers and went to Salt Lake to sing in general conference. I remember she sent a post card home of the Tabernacle choir with her seat circled so we could watch for her on TV. We didn't get to see her. Mom sang alto and I always liked to sit by her in church just to listen to her sing.

Mom always had Double mint gum in her pruse and after the sacrament you could have a half of a stick or something. I thought Double mint was the only kind of gum you could buy for years. I remember coming home from church to the farm when Starburst candies first came out. It must have been fast Sunday and mom had a bag of Starbursts. They tasted so good and Mom decided to write a letter to the company that made them and see if we could get a free bag of candy out of it. We waited for a long time to get a reply but we were all disappointed all they sent was a thank you letter.

I think it was after my mission mom made up her mind she was joining in a walk for a cure. I think it was for birth defects. Mom walked from Littlefield to Bunkerville park. She was the oldest walker and got a ribbon. What a heritage we have.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I loved being in the car (especially on long trips from Mesa to St. George, or vise versa) and listening to Mom and Dad sing together.

I used to beg Mom to sing "The Friskies" song over and over as I sobbed. It's still the saddest song I know, and still makes me cry!