I remembered an experience I wanted to share.
When we moved into the house in Littlefield the kitchen was a blue-green color, kind of dark and depressing and the cabinets and counter tops needed some TLC.Several years later I was working for Uncle Ordell and we had just finished a project and had some formica left over. I asked what he had planned to do with it and he said I could have it. Long story short, Dad and I went up to Heber's shop and Ordell and us built new upper cabinets then went down and installed them and put on the new formica. It was a mustard yellow color and with new white paint on the cabinets it really helped the looks of things. On a subsequent Saturday, Mom had a stake meeting in Logandale that would take her away for the whole day so Lyle and I hatched a plan to repaint the kitchen. We dashed off to Bowler's dept. store for some paint. What color? We looked over the paint samples and picked what we thought was a plesant yellow color that would go with the countertops and lighten the room up a bit. A lesson from the wise - those little paint chips are alot brighter on the wall! The paint was already bought and time was wasting so we put it on the wall. Mom came home and expressed her gratitude for us thinking of her and wanting to make things nicer and her kitchen was yellow of years to come. She finally confessed to me that she didn't really care for yellow. The love that a mother has for her kids really knows no bounds! Thanks MOM!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Isn't unconditional love a great thing...especially when it's a Mom for her children. You Mom would have never hurt your feelings and she always appreciated every single, little thing! Thanks for the interesting story, Ray.
Ray I remember this story a little different than you do. As I remember you had to go to work and that left me and Dad to move the stuff back in the kitchen. We moved the stove back in place and the frige out of the dinning room and we had just gone out to get the old green table when Mom came home.She followed us in as we carried it in. I don't think I ever saw her so upset. She was in tears she was so mad. First she lit into dad how could you do this you know I hate yellow! Dad didn't say anything he very quietly got the milk bucket and went to do the chores. Mom went in to change clothes and I continued putting the stuff back in it's place trying to get it back where it was so mom could be ok with it. When she came back in the kitchen I had put the curtians up over the table and was trying to get the curtians back up over the sink. She said don't even bother those curtian's don't go with anything in here now and they are brand new. Why do you boys always try to make more work for me? I tried to explain to her it was only paint and I could call Ray at work and he could bring home a different color and we would repaint it what ever color she wanted. I tried to explain to her that it was Ray and I that had done it and Dad had been gone all day and was just helping me get everything back in place before she got home. She settled down a little but was still insistant that we had made more work for her. She didn't want me to call you for new paint. I went to help Dad with the chores and Mom started dinner. When we got back to the house she was ok. I think all day in a church meeting had taken it's toll. When you were in the mission field I had a free Saturday and I offered to get some paint and redo the kitchen but she told me no. She said the yellow had kind of grown on her and she didn't think any other color would ever be the same. It stayed yellow and I noticed she always planted yellow flowers in her flower beds after that.
Post a Comment