Friday, May 22, 2009

Last picture I know of Mom and Dad



This picture was taken March 19, 1994 at Nancy and My wedding, before mom passed away in May.

Mom use to tell about her sister Mildred braking her arm cranking the old model T. She use to reluctantly tell about the first time she drove a car. She was going to mutual and missed the bridge and ran the front tire in the ditch. She was all embarrassed because her dad had to get a tractor and pull her out. Maybe Jim or Paula remembers the details of that story better and could share it.

I remember the first and only time I saw Mom ride a horse. We were at the farm and Dad had put the cows in the pasture and he had a horse tied up at the house so we could jump on and drive the cows out of the alfalfa so they wouldn't bloat. That was usually my job but I was gone for some reason and when I came back here was Mom on old Ginger coming back from driving the cows out of the field. I didn't even know she knew how to ride a horse much less drive cows. I was all amazed but she didn't want to talk about it. She liked to keep things like that secret like knowing how to milk that way Dad wouldn't ask her to do it.

Dad, Ray and I had been up to the head of the ditch where we spent a lot of time trying to get the water from the virgin river to run down the ditch. We had the team, Doc and Bill and the hay wagon. We had hauled a big load of tumble weeds up and used them to hold the sand so we could dam off the river. It was late afternoon and we were headed home for lunch. As we came up the hill by what we called the flat here came the tractor. It was Mom coming to get us. Mom driving the tractor who would of thought it. The road up there was really sandy and Dad had got after her for trying to get there with the pickup. He didn't want her up there alone stuck so she just brought the tractor. She got on the hay wagon with Dad and Ray and I drove the tractor back.

3 comments:

Bev said...

You're Mom was amazing. Exact opposite of my Mom....can you imagine my Mom on a tractor....NEVER! Great picture and great post!!

Ray said...

Mom did alot of things that no one would expect. Do you remember her keeping the .22 ready in the screen porch in case she heard a phesant down in the hay field? I never saw her shoot nor did I see her kill anything but apparently she had the desire.

Ray said...

I just realized that the tractor that Mom drove to the head of the ditch didn't start with a key. It had to be coasted down a hill and the clutch "popped" to get it to start.