Sunday, May 31, 2009

Service to others

Mom and Dad were always involved in service. When we lived at the farm we had to haul all of our culinary water. Dad made arrangements to get water from Rob Faucet. (no joke) A man who lived on 500 south just east of Main street. Dad paid his water bill to be able to fill up our barrels there. I know Rob would not have had water if it hadn't been for mom and dad. We even had to fill our water barrels there after we had a home in town. We had an old silver single axle trailer at the farm. I think Dad had moved it from over by the black rock pond. The trailer was like a small travel trailer and a man dad picked up at Rob Faucet's named Foot came to live in the trailer. He was there to help with the work and to watch the farm whenever we were gone. I don't know how many years Foot lived there but he always had meals with us. He was a stray that needed a hand.
After Foot left there was an old wooden shed across the street from the house in St. George. It was a home at one time but the windows were all broke out and it was falling down. One day a man moved in and of course Dad had to investigate. This man was who we knew as O B. His real name was Orsal Bowers Covington. He was moved into the trailer and dad got him a job at the feed store cleaning up the grain that would spill on the floor. They had a deal that they would raise pigs with the grain and sell the pigs and split the profits. So O B ended up at the table. After he got his money from the pigs, he was gone. After complaining he had been shorted of course.
The next one I remember was a young man who stopped at the lodge in Beaver Dam when we lived there. He was a draft dodger or at least that is what Dad always thought. He ate at the table and helped around the place for a couple of weeks. Dad bought his tool box which was really just junk so he could get gas and move on. Looking back we never went hungry but I think we lived close to the poverty level but Mom and Dad would do whatever they could. I don't know what influence our family had on these people but they at least left our home with an understanding of the Gospel. I don't know why I need to write this stuff but this blog keeps me up at night. I wake up and there is something I need to put in this blog. Please forgive my poor language skills and poor explanations but I know when moved by the spirit I must act even if I don't want to.

3 comments:

Bev said...

I love your stories!! Keep 'em coming. Such good memories...thanks, Lyle. I remember some HOBO that came to your Mom's door, was his name Frisket? or something like that. Your family was indeed blessed by the service of your good parents!

Paula said...

Thanks, Lyle. I love your stories as they bring a flood of memories.

jim said...

Lyle, you do a great job and we all love to share in your memories. Don't lose any sleep, but, keep the stories coming!